So I often end my day relaxing, watching TV. The other night I was watching Letterman and have always enjoyed his “Top Ten List” and thought, hey that would be a good blog Idea. So I have decided to do a Top Ten list of “What not to do when dealing with a recruiter.” So let’s get started.
10. Do not put a picture of yourself on your resume, especially if it is one of you in board shorts with the beach and ocean behind you.
9. Do not send a mass email to 20 recruiters you are working with. Chances are we do not want to compete with 20 other people.
8. Do not apply to 20 positions on our site in which you have absolutely no experience. It makes us think you are too desperate and probably will be high maintenance.
7. Do not connect with your recruiter on LinkedIn and have a photo of you looking like you had 1 too many drinks or about to go out to the dance club.
6. Do not use emails like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com . Create a professional email to use.
5. Do not call 10 times in a row and not leave a message. Chances are we were busy the first time and by the time we are able to take the call, we are thinking, “no way I take this call, this person is stalking me.”
4. Do not call from a bathroom, bar, or any place that may have loud or embarrassing noises.
3. Do not call without introducing yourself and go right to “What jobs do you have?” We would prefer a “Hi, my name is insert name here and would be interested in working with your company.”
2. Don’t show up to a meeting with a recruiter wearing jorts, a tank top and an unkempt mullet smelling like cigarettes. You don’t have to show up in a suit unless the recruiter requested it, but remember a 1st impression goes a long way. Dress well and come prepared.
AND THE #1 THING NOT TO DO IS
1. Do not argue and berate the recruiter and tell them they have no idea what they are talking about or send an email to their manager saying you have not heard from the recruiter in 2 days. This definitely does not help your chances of finding a job.
I hope you enjoyed the Top Ten List
Follow me on Twitter @jeremydreynolds, LinkedIn, Facebook and Google+